Sunday, June 21, 2009

remembering

A long, long time ago, when Adam and I were just starting to hang out together, I went to his house to pick him up. Some kids came to answer the door, with Adam following them. One of them pushed the screen door open, and Adam stood behind one of his nieces, probably Berlyn, to tell me he was almost ready. As he talked to me, he put his hand on Berlyn's head while she stood there, and I was kind of taken aback by how gentle the action was (we were in high school - I didn't see too much softness in the boys I hung out with). Years later, when we were talking about getting married, I kept on thinking back to that memory and how much that small gesture touched me - looking back now, it was a major factor in making the decision to marry him; I wanted someone who would be a good father and remembering that time seemed to seal the deal for me.(Lily is perpetually naked except for shoes so she can go outside. She hides in the bathroom and puts her clothes down the laundry chute - the only times I'm not grateful for not having to haul dirty clothes downstairs)

So here we are two kids later. I have watched countless interactions of him with Lily and Jackson that show the same tenderness that impressed me then and lifts my heart with love for him now. I am so glad he is the father of my children. He has lived up to my expectations of being a great dad. I love you Adam, and hope you had a wonderful Father's Day filled with reminders of how much we appreciate you.

No comments: