Tuesday, April 20, 2010

via ferrata; klettersteig

When Deena told me about klettersteig, or the style of climbing with the use of steel ladders, I thought it sounded perfect! Rock climbing made easy. She and her husband Eli outfitted me completely, and even gave me a ride as someone had slashed our Honda's tire the night before, and I wanted to leave my saint of a husband the Subaru since he was babysitting the kids for half the day. Deena didn't mention the initial 2 mile uphill hike to the bottom of the climb, but luckily I didn't exercise that morning so I was ready to burn some calories. And although she kept on asking me if I had updated my will, and saying she hoped I wasn't afraid of heights (I am), I wasn't too nervous until I saw how far apart the steel ladders sometimes were. I am not the best rock climber and kept on having flashbacks to the one other time I went in St. George like 8 years ago.

The climb is in Waterfall Canyon - it was an awesome view. Both Eli and Deena took lots of pictures and videos - so fun to have it documented! On their honeymoon they went to the Alps to use the klettersteig there.

And almost to the top - apparently it is about a 700 ft climb. It certainly was an adventure! I am hoping to tone my climbing skills so next time Deena doesn't readily say yes when I asked if it was a relaxing and leisurely climb for her....Here is River, one of my Cub Scouts, with Ogden behind. He and little 18 month old Bjorn (in Eli's backpack) made the trek too, but hiked while we climbed.


And here is a small clip to give a taste of my speed (slow) and a bit of height perspective (very high).

2 comments:

Britt-Marie said...

Sabrina! You are awesome! When did you do this? I can't believe how high up you are. I've never done anything like that. That's pretty intense.

amanda said...

wow, you have been so busy the last month. Now have you settled down to potty train? I heard you bought a froggy potty... Also, any pictures from CA?