Wednesday, September 21, 2016

substantial #2

When I think about June these pictures come to mind.  At least before it got too hot, basically every afternoon when the kids would get bored and ask to watch a show or play video games I would say "Let's go swimming!"  And they would spend the rest of the day in the pool.  Isaac once got out to sit with me, fell asleep, woke up a bit later than got right back in.
Adam actually pointed out after a while that he never got to go swimming since the kids had gotten out by the time he got home after being in for 3-4 hours.  It was nice to have tired kids! Jackson did swim team so after a while he wasn't too excited about our pool though.
One night Jackson was very frustrated about something, I can't remember what, probably video games and the lack thereof (in his opinion).  We had gotten home at about 9 pm and I told him to get his running shoes on, then we went out and ran a mile.  I talked about how sometimes getting all of the frustration and negative energy out would be helpful for him.  Then I got determined to get the older kids out of bed early to either go running or biking.  It worked with Jackson a handful of times but Lily was getting her bum kicked by gymnastics (3 hrs 2x a week).  It was fun while it lasted and I love having time with the kids to talk about whatever.  Maybe someday if the kids do no summer camps/activities then they will have more energy to go out with me!
Lily did a coding camp with her good friend Emma.  Kind of strange to see her doing such technical things.
Father's day!  We love Adam, and he loves french toast, sausage and orange juice.  I actually got a verbal affirmation that it was one of his favorite meals!  Score!  He is a tough one to please, and his favorites totally depend on his mood.
Lily sometimes gets bored in the car.  I have quite a few more interesting faces....

When Nathan and Amanda were here we spent a day at Fiesta Fun.  Isaac was so excited to do laser tag and it was beyond awesome how he moved stealthily around the course shooting people.  The first two times he stayed very close to me but the third time he ventured out a bit on his own.  He looked so cute in his oversized vest.
Some fun swimming time as well.  By now we weren't in our pool as much, as it was like jumping into a huge hot tub.
 I was able to snag some pretty good pics of the kids before cousin Sasha's blessing.  Ada's a tough one to catch with a smile on her face!  She usually just wants to do exactly what she wants to do, and it usually doesn't include smiling for a camera.
 Isaac mimicing Adam.  Ha!
 Lily attempting a lemonade stand in 110 degree weather.  She and her friend were trading places inside and the stand pretty constantly.  It was soooooo hot!
We spent quite a few nights at the park, starting at about 8 pm so the kids could have some outside time.  Yes it was late but once the sun went behind the houses it was quite pleasant.  One night I walked down with the kids and Jackson biked home and then carried a blanket back so we could sit on it.  Then Lily did it another night.  Very peaceful to lay under the sky.
And off to Montana!  Adam's family whipped up a family reunion within a few weeks time and so last minute we changed plans from Cannon Beach to Echo Lake.  It's always neat to visit new places!
After church on our first day we went to Glacier National Park.  Such clear water!  I love how long kids can throw rocks into water.  Jackson is trying really hard to learn how to skip stones.  Adam skipped quite a few larger rocks which was super impressive to all of us.
 Me and my kiddos.
 All of us.
 We went home to take a little family canoe ride.  So beautiful and perfect weather!
I really do love my in-laws, they are wonderful people and a very positive presence in our lives.
We shared the Hill House with the Hansens, Hendershots, and Ben and Peggy.  Ada and Isaac had so much fun with Ashley's kids, it was so fun to watch!  Here is Ada and Roam, born 2 days apart.
I loved the Hill House, it was nice to kind of be away from the center of things. And it was nice to never be short a workout for the day, because only about half of the steps are shown in this photo!
Sparing the gruesome details and additional glaring evidence of me not have the mental strength for basically anything, Isaac stepped on hot coals from the dutch oven dinner and burned his feet so bad.  So along with going up those steps a handful of times a day, for the majority of the week I was carrying this little peanut, and sometimes his little sister too (makes me tired remembering it).
While I was worrying my brains out about third degree burns vs. second degree burns and constant dressing changes, the kids were having an awesome time out on the water.
Jackson loved the jet skis and knee boarding and the couch tube.  Lily was loving spending time with cousins Belle and Flora.
 By Thursday I was more than done carrying Isaac everywhere and got Adam to take us to Glacier again.  This time we drove much farther in and got to see some gorgeous sights.
Even though the mountains probably didn't even compare, to me they seemed as impressive as the Alps.  So gorgeous and my fear of heights was very evident, to the amusement of the kids.  Although I didn't need to force them to stay inside the car and stay away from the ledges.



 Ada loved spending time in the water.  She would fight us to not put on her life jacket, but luckily she finally understood that there was no wiggle room on that one.  Unlike the rest of her life, where we are major pushovers.
Ada and Cora.
There was always a handful of kids waiting in line to have a chance to ride the little 4-wheeler around the house loop.  Here is Jack trying to show off but really just getting into trouble because it wasn't okay to ride on the grass.
 Although Isaac went swimming a few times with his socks and bandages on, I unfortunately didn't get him in a canoe until the last morning.  I also waited until the morning of our departure to enjoy myself in the water.  I was just too high strung and traumatized to do it before then.  Adam had gotten me on the couch tube a few days prior and I felt like I was going to die; the last day I had so much fun being on there with Isaac and Jack.  Makes me excited for next time.
 Normally Ada clung to me or Ada when swimming, but this time she was so happy.  Adam was playing a game with her where he would disappear under the water and come up, and she would just burst out laughing.  So cute.
 When Nathan and Amanda were here we got a big family picture!  And our individual one done.  I love it but it is hard to not give Jackson a hard time about smiling!!!  Did he really have to make that face??  I'm kind of laughing but not as much as I will someday, I'm sure.
 Britt came through and reminded me how crazy it is that my kids will get food this way.  Ada will as well, she just needs to use the lower drawer as a step.
 Still friends.  This trip they attempted to run away.  They left lots of notes for us, went all the way to Little Valley Elementary, then turned back because it was cold.  Us adults hadn't noticed.  The runaway notes are priceless though!
The older I get the more amazed I am that I was lucky enough to become and stay friends with this wonderful woman.

No comments: