Wednesday, September 21, 2016

travel bug #1

Jackson was SO UPSET to miss Cannon Beach.  He cried and cried (and of course cried and cried if we ever tried to take him away from the lake, but nevermind that) and complained like crazy.  So I got the idea that I could take the kids to visit Britt and give them some beach time.  After taking Isaac to the wound clinic here in St. George to make sure they weren't 3rd degree burns (nope!) and getting the instructions that he should wear socks to protect him from the hot sand and sun, we were off!
 We made the trip in about 5 hours....yes I think about that a lot and it's hard to not want to go every few weeks.  It was such a fun trip, even though I was STILL on edge from Montana and my temper would unleash at about anything, and I threatened to drive home like 12 times in the three days we were there....especially when Jackson whined about not spending ENOUGH time on the beach, even though it was over 5 hours each day the two days we were there.
It was honestly so hard to choose which pictures to post.  Britt took a ton and they were all wonderful and they make me so happy to look at.  Ada wanted nothing to do with the water back in February, but this trip she loved it as long as she was with me (thank heavens - some of those tides were pretty strong).   Here she is eating my nose, thinking she was pretty hilarious (it was).
Britt formed Isaac into a walrus, he thought that was pretty cool!  She also showed him how to catch the little burrowing crabs when the tide went out, and he caught so many and was so excited.  She directed them to a lot of fun things!
We did spend one morning at Trader Joes, but other than that we were at the water.
Lily got a lot better at boogie boarding this trip.  Eleanor and Gregory had an early out day and then Britt took them out early the next day.  The kids loved the company!
Love that face.
And that one.  If you look closely you can see his sand covered socks.  He wore them faithfully even though they and the bandages would get bogged down with water and sand.  He would run and look like he had flippers on.
The kids would just go back and forth from the water to the sand.  Seriously one of the best vacations ever.

Britt basically made it so I had valet parking - she would either drop me off with the kids to go and park somewhere, or when we had to do the super skinny parallel parking she parked her car, then switched me places so she could park my car.  Ha!  She is a pro and I can barely pull into a parking spot straight anymore.  I think Costco has spoiled me.
Jackson threw huge fits every time we would leave, and go sprinting back into the waves.  He and Gregory would go so far out and just dive down into them.  It was so fun to watch.  After time in the water they would head back to dig dig dig.  They would get covered from head to toe with sand and then head back for the water.  He was in heaven.  For no reason whatsoever he flung his swim shirt off on the second day when we got to the beach, and got his first taste of a sunburn later on.  He slept next to the fan with his shirt off, and squealed so loud if anybody touched it.
 Ada loved how the tide would sweep her away with me holding her arms.  She started copying me saying "It's a big one!" and point to the oncoming wave.  So super cute.  She was pretty lucky that Isaac didn't want me to hold him as much as she wanted to be in the water.  The few times I went out with him she would stand back and cry, waiting for me to come back.
The last night we were there Kurt watched all of the kids while Britt and I took the convertible out to Balboa Island for a nice long walk on the boardwalk.  Hopefully I won't take advantage of their hospitality - Britt cooked and Kurt would do the dishes every night.  It was awesome and I will gladly repeat how excited I am to go back soon.

No comments: