Sunday, December 28, 2014

nice november

Thanksgiving was over all of a sudden.  It was really nice to not have to pack up and drive across the state for the big dinner.  Very relaxing!  We went out to the Bird's.  The highlight was probably when the prayer ended, Lily was coming from MiMi's room with elaborate makeup, her hair done with jeweled pins, and a large shimmery scarf wrapped around her body like a dress.  Her face was saying "Oh, what's happening out here?  I have been preparing for the evening."  I sure wish she had some girl cousins her age; the closest ones are 2 years older and 2 years younger.
The crack was closed, I guess they are doing a major overhaul up there for a park.  It is Jackson's favorite place and he cried when we couldn't go there.  We went to a different hike where the kids ran and explored.  What a beautiful place - you just can't beat those blue skies and red rock.
 Janet called the first week after I moved, asking if I wanted her to take Ada and Isaac every Wednesday or Friday for a day with Mimi.....ummm....talk about spoiling mom!  What a luxury.  Since Jackson has afternoon Kindergarten I get to spend the morning with him, and then have an hour or so after school with both of the big kids.  One Friday we went for a bike ride on the river walk.  What fun buddies.  We went super far and Jack kept on teasing me with his tricks of riding with his feet on the seat, or one leg crossed over the other while he coasted.  Little stinker, he just laughed when I told him to ride normal and to stop scaring me.
 Shortsighted Mom didn't really pack any toys for Grandma and Grandpa's house, so the number one favorite play thing is either my phone or camera.  Here are some of the little treasures I've found.  Jackson seems so content here.  I was telling Adam the other day that in Ogden I was always (always!) yelling for him in that big house and yard, but he always just ignored me and kept on playing.  Here he is so much more responsive, and such a big helper.  And such a sweetheart!  He just loves Ada so much and is always making sure she is comfortable and happy.  We have been reading books and he is getting so good with letters and math facts.  Such a great boy.
 I wonder when Lily will stop being silly.  Hopefully never, as she loves to be crazy and make people laugh.
 I spent $25 for a massive phone case that Adam makes fun of, but I totally don't care because this little missy can play and slobber on it all she wants and I never have to worry!
I have to say this month was very rewarding as a parent.  I really felt bad about all of the different schools we put Lily in, and the fact that she had experienced set backs in her learning because of it.  But because of being here and not having to set up house or unpack or anything, I spent a bunch of time working with {i.e. torturing} Lily.  She was bringing home her 'bell work', little worksheets that everybody does first thing, and sometimes they were completely empty.  Her teacher told me she wasn't getting her math review done in class, so she would bring that home to finish.  Then she had her one page of homework and spelling.  Some days we would be sitting for almost 2 hours working, struggling, crying, etc.  She was getting 2/15 correct on spelling tests.  By Christmas break she was closer to 9 or 10/15 correct on spelling, and one day I was helping Jack with something and went to check on Lily who was doing her homework sheet.  She gave it to me and said, "It's all correct."  And continued telling me how when the teacher was explaining the new concept she just knew what the answers were!  She was so excited, and it was so exciting to see her and how all of the hard work paid off.  Certainly isn't the end of the road, but so cool, especially watching her explain to house guests Carl and Nadine how she subtracts big numbers in her head (this was so crazy as when Adam and I first tried explaining the concept to her she got so mad and cried from frustration).
As for Isaac, when Ada took her afternoon naps I was pretty desperate that he not watch a show some days, so would get him to include me with his imaginative play, usually consisting of us hiding under furniture with guns and bombs so we could get the bad guys.  The first time we did this, at one point he turned to me and said "I like you Mom." It was like it had never occurred to him that I was fun to play with?

No comments: