Saturday, September 6, 2008

tribute

While I was in labor with Jackson, I couldn't stop thinking about how different it was compared to Lily's birth. I have to admit that in a way, I was pretty excited to go to the hospital because of how enjoyable labor was with Lily. I told Adam at one point it was like we were going on a date. And although the outcome was a bit different than I expected, I wanted to take the opportunity to write my thoughts down of my wonderful husband and my first birthing experience. Adam was such a huge part of it and I seriously could not have done it naturally without him. I never wanted to quit and give up. It never entered my mind to ask for drugs: I had Adam there as my pain-blocking, endorphin-producing companion. I don't really remember any pain, although I'm sure that is the case with most women. Having him by my side was so soothing. He was there every second to support me, lightly stroking my arms, keeping my forehead cool with a wet washcloth, offering me ice cold apple juice for hydration, and *wow*. Those eyes! All I had to do was concentrate on those green beauties to get me through each contraction by relaxing my entire body. He was not just hanging out in the room, but was right by my side, encouraging and affirming. It really is one of my favorite memories of our marriage so far.

1 comment:

Britt-Marie said...

I'm pretty sure it's NOT the case with most women to not remember any pain. I sure did. That's wonderful that you had such a pleasant experience with Lily.